Image recording systems do not require the use of film, screens, or processing chemicals. They have several advantages over conventional film radiography:
- Radiographs cannot be lost if adequate data safeguards are used
- There is no need for film storage and its attendant space and environmental requirements
- The process allows for manipulation and enhancement after the image has been recorded
- Images can be transmitted electronically to a remote location for immediate interpretation
- The images are generally available more quickly, usually within 30 seconds
- There is no need for a darkroom.